Even though we think we are aware of drink spiking, we are not. This is a growing problem and shows no signs of slowing down.


Thursday 15 March 2007

Why are we not aware?

Todays generation of women work hard and play hard, and deservedly so. I, like most of my friends think we are aware of the dangers women have to face when they go out, the main one being drinks getting spiked.

Out in a club, you are thinking about your skirt riding up, making sure the drunk guy behind you knows that he isn't in with a chance, no matter how great he thinks he is, or you get lost in the moment and ohmygod, actually enjoy yourself! The one thing that isn't on your mind is covering your glass, not leaving it unattended, and making sure that you don't accept a drink from somebody you don't know.

But, that is exactly what I did on Friday night and I paid the price. Luckily for me, I had my friends around me and apart from feeling very shaky and very embarrassed about being spread out outside a club half conscious I am able to put it down to experience and learn from it.

I do have a lot to be grateful for but I am furious that as a whole women and men are not aware of the extent of the problem. What does it take before people start to protect themselves?

No comments: